Undergoing any type of surgery can be scary for both men and women. At the practice of Jessica Belz, she sees many patients who are considering plastic surgery to improve their body contours and provide immediate fat reduction and removal. Liposuction is one of the most popular elective procedures performed in her office. Patients who ask about this treatment are often interested in learning the pros and cons of liposuction to help them decide the most appropriate solutions for their individual needs. Below is a breakdown of some of the advantages and disadvantages of this minimally-invasive procedure.
Advantages of liposuction
- Liposuction is minimally-invasive with fewer risks when performed under IV sedation
- Liposuction leaves smaller, less noticeable scars from treatment than other body contouring procedures
- Removing pockets of unwanted fat on the body helps in facilitating weight loss and a healthier lifestyle
- Permanent results are achieved through liposuction
- Patients are often back to their normal routine within a week or two of their initial procedure date
- Results are noticeable within a few weeks as swelling subsides
- Patients who undergo liposuction are pleased to find that their clothes fit better and they have improved self-esteem and confidence
Disadvantages of liposuction
- Patients who undergo liposuction are still at risk of experiencing more fat cell growth if they do not maintain a healthier lifestyle and manage their weight after treatment
- Liposuction is not effective at addressing other common issues including stretch marks, dimpling from cellulite, or loose skin
- Liposuction is not intended as a weight loss procedure but more of a body contouring solution, so patients should be within their ideal weight range before becoming eligible for the procedure
- As with any surgical procedure, liposuction does still carry a risk of infection, numbness, and bleeding in the treatment area, and common side effects such as bruising and swelling can occur
Are you considering liposuction?
Take the time to consult with Dr. Jessica Belz and her team to discuss liposuction and other body contouring options available today! The office is located in San Antonio, TX at 207 West Sunset Road and can be reached by calling (210) 497-7100.