Dr. Jessica Belz visits with men and women on a regular basis who are interested in improving certain areas of their face and body. Many patients choose to move forward with a procedure called liposuction, which works to remove unwanted fat from specific areas of the body. This ensure better contours and a more sculpted appearance, especially when performed in the abdominal area. Patients considering this treatment may also be concerned about the post-operative recovery they will have to plan for. Below is a quick summary of the healing and recovery process following a liposuction procedure.
What to expect post-operative
While liposuction can be a rather minimally-invasive procedure, it is essential that patients plan for the time needed after the treatment for proper healing. There are risks that can occur, as with any surgical procedure, such as infection. Many of these risks are minimized with proper care after liposuction. Below are a few recommendations made by Dr. Jessica Belz for patients who are facing an upcoming liposuction procedure:
- Expect to be released the same day as your procedure, unless complications arise and a hospital stay is necessary
- Plan for swelling, bruising, and overall soreness in the treatment area for several weeks, though these will subside
- Wear a compression garment for one to two months around the treatment area to keep swelling under control
- Take antibiotics if prescribed to reduce the risk of developing infection in the incision area
- Take any prescribed pain relieving medication to manage discomfort during the healing process
- Plan to take time off of work, school, and other activities. Most patients return to work after several days, and resume most normal activities within two weeks
- Schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Jessica Belz to monitor healing and progress
Learn more about liposuction with Dr. Jessica Belz
San Antonio, TX patients who are interested in liposuction procedures are welcome to book a consultation visit with Dr. Jessica Belz to determine if they are appropriate candidates for this or other surgical treatments available. Call (210) 497-7100 and schedule an appointment at 207 West Sunset Road. Whether you are considering liposuction or other body contouring solutions, we can recommend the best possible treatments for your unique needs and desires.